one grateful week



It has flown by, this first week. 


It began in a whirlwind; a labor experience I did not anticipate, one that remains to be processed fully. We found ourselves in the hospital for the first few days of our little man’s life, being wonderfully cared for as we began to recuperate from the events that brought him into the world. 


And then we came home, all five of us for the first time. Of all weeks, it was Thanksgiving, and appropriately so. I have so much to be thankful for. 


For a husband who works day in and day out to care for his family, whether through board games or making lunch or helping me shower or comforting children in the middle of the night. 


For two of the sweetest big sisters any boy could ask for, who love watching his every expression and singing him through diaper changes. 


For a mom who stayed by my side through the horrendous pain of every contraction and to the operating room where we finally met our boy. 


For a mother-in-law who supports me every step of the way, helping in so many small details and with so much encouragement. 


For a midwife who worked with me through so much, and who made the right decisions at the right moments. 


For so many family members who love on our whole family in different ways. 


And for my son. The one who still feels like a dream sometimes, even though I’m looking into his dark blue newborn eyes. He is perfect and whole, and I am so grateful. 


And so we’ve spent this quiet week of recovery and rest getting to know our little Johnnie boy, and getting to enjoy uninterrupted time as a family. What a wonderful gift. Oh, how I am grateful. 




Comments

most read posts